Adare Manor derives its name from a feudal system introduced after the Norman invasion in Ireland around 1170. Rather than referring to a house, the term “Manor” designated a local administrative landholding. The lands of a Manor were divided between rented farms and the “demesne”, a reserved area for the landholder’s house and personal use. The Manor in Adare was granted to Geoffrey de Marisco, the king’s chief representative in Ireland. He then fell out of favour. When he died in exile his land was surrendered to Maurice Fitzgerald, his stepson.